July 17, 2012
What a beautiful day! It’s hot, humid and an early start in
our home today! Last week we visited Dr. Sigmond, and ENT doctor here in the
metro. After 8 ear infections and antibiotics not working, we decided that it
was time we took our little lady to a specialist to see what we could/couldn’t
do. After passing her right hearing test, and failing the left, as well as
another look inside…Tubes were the answer.
As a mother, I was heartbroken knowing that not only was my daughter now scheduled for surgery, but knowing that I let her ears go long enough that hearing damage could have been done. The doctors reassured me that MOST of the hearing tests are passed after the tubes are placed and the fluid drains a bit. Until then I am very nervous. The last few months I have felt inclined to learn sign language and teach my children, I hope her hearing isn’t permanently damaged and that was why I have been so impressed by it.
As a mother, I was heartbroken knowing that not only was my daughter now scheduled for surgery, but knowing that I let her ears go long enough that hearing damage could have been done. The doctors reassured me that MOST of the hearing tests are passed after the tubes are placed and the fluid drains a bit. Until then I am very nervous. The last few months I have felt inclined to learn sign language and teach my children, I hope her hearing isn’t permanently damaged and that was why I have been so impressed by it.
With the impression I have begun teaching both children,
Melody-Ann within a week or two of working on it, I am pleased that she has
pretty much mastered the word “more”. Hunter, well at nearly 7 months hasn’t
caught on yet.
So, that leads us to today. Melody-Ann was scheduled for
surgery at 8:30 AM, and we were to be there about 7:30 AM. We were blessed to
have my mother passing through so she was able to help out with Hunter while
both Amos and I were able to focus on little lady! Little lady LOVES her sleep
so she was pretty upset that we woke her up AND denied her food/drink! For me
that was one of the most challenging parts of the entire day; looking at the
tears in her eyes KNOWING she was hungry and thirsty, since she was cut off at
midnight! While sitting in the waiting room we signed the admitting paperwork,
and cuddled her while she was entertained watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on my
phone.
When they called us back we walked down a small hallway into
a corridor type area where there were cloth curtains dividing each “room”. The
nurse restated the procedure and reassured at least myself that it was a quick
10-20 minute procedure and just local anesthesia, so just a quick inhale of bubble
gum flavored gas and she would be right awake, no IV’s breathing help etc. The
nurse fell in love with Melody-Ann as she willingly allowed her to check her
heartbeat with the little finger clasp! She was so willing that she had it
checked on both big toes AND a finger, the nurse only needed the one big toe
check but lovingly let Melody-Ann “play”. After sitting patiently for about
30-40 minutes, playing with her cat, Dr. Sigmond came in to greet us and again
re-explain the procedure. Just behind him Dr. Zach was anesthesiologist that
was assigned to us, he hardly finished and the RN was in to get Melody-Ann. It
all happened so quickly. The RN asked Melody-Ann if she liked balloons as a
coax to get her to walk with her. Melody-Ann being a smart little girl, grabbed
me and held on while the nurse took her and her blanket. Instead of prolonging
the fact, I handed her over to the nurse and gave her a kiss as we parted ways,
she headed left as we went right. I watched as my little girl was taken through
big doors and waved and blew kisses.
While waiting for Melody-Ann, I was grateful for the TV in
the waiting room it kept my mind distracted. It wasn’t much after getting out
from the Pre-Op to the waiting room that they were calling us back! I had my
little girl back in my arms. The surgery center provided Melody-Ann a popsicle and
apple juice, which Melody-Ann gladly she accepted. She was placed right in my
lap and cuddled in; my little lady who hardly cuddles was now! I knew she wasn’t
quite herself yet but enough to recognize daddy and I. We received our post-op
and scheduled her re-check in Dr. Sigmond’s office.
Melody-Ann was so concerned as to where her little brother was. She is such a great big sister. I am blessed to have not only one but TWO wonderful babies who just adore one another. I am grateful for a husband who not only is a great husband an even better father to the children that Heavenly Father blessed me with. I am grateful for modern medicine that will help my daughter feel better and be able to live a healthy life.
Melody-Ann was so concerned as to where her little brother was. She is such a great big sister. I am blessed to have not only one but TWO wonderful babies who just adore one another. I am grateful for a husband who not only is a great husband an even better father to the children that Heavenly Father blessed me with. I am grateful for modern medicine that will help my daughter feel better and be able to live a healthy life.
Pre - Op Photo
Post - Op Photo
With Love,
Alexis
Alexis
No comments:
Post a Comment